1. We are winning against Coronavirus – Governor Abdullahi Ganduje
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State says the state is recording successes in the COVID-19 response aimed at stemming the further spread of the pandemic.
Mr. Abba Anwar, the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, quoted Ganduje as saying this in a statement on Saturday in Kano.
The statement said that the governor made the declaration at a news conference of the state’s Task Force on COVID-19.
Ganduje said that the feat was achieved due to his unrelenting commitment and political will in leading the response against the COVID-19 pandemic.
He noted that the COVID-19 samples collected in the state surpassed the benchmark set out by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).
The governor said: “While NCDC sets 100 benchmarks of sample collection per state, Kano State’s sample collection goes up to hundreds.”
“Strengthening and stabilising the position which also led to a drastic drop of the pandemic in the state.”
“With the trend of samples collected, tested and the results that came out of them, we are really winning the war against COVID-19 in Kano State.”
The statement also quoted Dr. Tijjani Hussaini, the state’s Technical Coordinator Task Force on COVID-19, as saying that the state had five molecular testing centres to enhance detection and effective response to the pandemic.
“Because of the fact that the size of samples collected in the state outstripped what NCDC recommended, that is 100 per state, while we collect in thousands.
“And with the five testing centres in the state, we still take some of our samples to Abuja for testing.”
The state Ministry of Health announced that the state had so far conducted 13,727 COVID-19 sample tests, since the outbreak of the pandemic.
The ministry announced via its verified Twitter handle @KNSMOH, that the samples were tested as at Friday, July 3.
It said that five new cases of the virus were confirmed of the 809 samples tested on Friday, while 26 more COVID-19 patients discharged.
The ministry disclosed that the state recorded a total of 1,262 confirmed cases of the disease; of which 207 were active cases, 1,003 discharged, and 52 deaths.
2. We’ve taken opportunity of Coronavirus to strengthen our health care facilities — Governor Seyi Makinde
Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State, at the weekend, said his administration took the opportunity of the novel Coronavirus pandemic to strengthen the state’s health care facilities.
The governor made this known at the commissioning of the upgraded Agbami Isolation Centre, Jericho, Ibadan.
Makinde, while berating the previous administration’s non commitment to enhanced health care facilities in the state, recalled that the facility was commissioned at the twilight of the immediate-past administration without adequately equipped.
The governor maintained that contracting the virus was not a death sentence as many might have perceived, adding that, it was not something to be ashamed of.
His words: “I battled COVID-19, so it is not a death sentence and it is not something to be ashamed of. The virus is here with us and it will be here for some times to come; it is not going to disappear two or three from now, so we have to learn to live with it. So, if any of us is sick, we have the facilities, we have taken the opportunity of COVID-19 to strengthen our health care facilities.”
“This facility was commissioned at the twilight of the last administration. Before we came in, it was a Tuberculosis (TB) Centre at that, we didn’t know that there will be COVID-19 pandemic, but here we are dealing with COVID-19.”
“Before the naysayers will go to town and say again Seyi Makinde is commissioning something they did, well we give you credit for putting this together even though it was commissioned when it wasn’t ready. I came here and went inside, there was nothing, absolutely nothing inside.”
“Now because we have the pandemic in our hand and we also have high earned individuals in Oyo State that are not comfortable going to Olodo because they want individual room and privacy.”
“For those individuals, we know some of you have aged parents at home and because we have to give concession for such individuals to self isolate at home and monitor them, now we don’t have to do much of that anymore.”
“With facilities here you can self isolate privately, just drive in, we will give you the treatment and we will ensure that you don’t infect others, once you have properly manage you will go back to various homes.”
“So, if COVID-19 is no longer here our facilities will remain, we will maintain them, it is no big deal that anyone tested positive to COVID-19. You don’t need to go and hide at private hospitals where they don’t really have the facilities and also the resources, the personnel to ensure that you access to adequate care.”
“This has been upgraded now, we have oxygen concentrator here, you will get the type of care that you truly deserved. If you look at where we are coming from it is a really challenging environment because when we started the year we had high hope but now we have to sheave off almost 35 percent of our budget for the year simply because we are facing the pandemic and we are also facing the economic meltdown, but in spite off all of that with the support of the good people of Oyo State we have been able to keep moving on,” stated.
The governor, however, told his teeming supporters not to indulge in praise-singing his government alone, but criticise him constructively, when the need arose.
“We did not take that support for granted, keep criticizing us, this criticism you are doing, let it be constructive criticism.”
“Anything we are doing and you think we can do better bring it up and we will make a necessary action.”
He extended appreciation to the health workers in the state, having been in front line of the battle.
“And finally I want to thank the health workers in Oyo State because you are in the front line in this battle. You had to work with facilities that are not up to standard but we have been partners in progress to lifting up our health care delivery system in Oyo State.”
“I want to thank you and I also want to implore you to please, do not relent, we will do it together and together we will defeat COVID-19,” he said.
3. 812 doctors, nurses, other health workers infected with Coronavirus — The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC)
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control on Saturday said 812 healthcare workers had been infected with COVID-19 nationwide, adding that it had begun an online course on Infection Prevention and Control of the virus.
The centre noted that the online course is available to the public, but targeted at healthcare workers.
NCDC said the course was to reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19 and other infectious diseases while administering healthcare in Nigeria.
The agency said, “As at June 2, about 812 health care workers have been infected in-country with over 230,000 infected globally. The national strategy in response to COVID-19 has been multifaceted. In the absence of a vaccine or cure, compliance with IPC measures remains one of the most effective interventions to control the ongoing outbreak.
“The NCDC has made efforts to rapidly strengthen the capacity of frontline healthcare workers in infection prevention and control wherever health care is provided. Since the first case in Nigeria was confirmed in February, NCDC has supported the training of about 17,436 health workers in IPC and works in collaboration with the Departments of Hospital Services and Food and Drugs of the Federal Ministry of Health.
“This is to ensure that health workers are provided with the required personal protective equipment to reduce the risk of health workers’ infection.
“The online course is also designed to document vital information to monitor IPC compliance across health facilities at the primary, secondary and tertiary levels, both in public, private and faith-based facilities in Nigeria. Infection, prevention and control measures cut across all other components of the COVID-19 response in Nigeria. They are critical for strengthening national health security.”
The centre noted that it remained committed to protecting the health of Nigerians, while urging Nigerians to remain aware of the risks of COVID-19 and adhere to the preventive measures advised by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 and the Federal Ministry of Health.
4. Court of Appeal upholds Yahaya Bello’s victory
The Abuja Division of the Court of Appeal, yesterday, upheld the election of Yahaya Bello as governor of Kogi State.
The appellate court, in separate unanimous judgments by a five-man panel, led by Justice Adamu Jauro, dismissed four appeals that challenged Bello’s return as the valid winner of the November 16, 2019, gubernatorial election.
The appellate court held that earlier appeals, which sought to upturn the verdict of the state’s Governorship Election Petition Tribunal that affirmed the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate as the winner of the poll lacked merit.
It further informed that it found no reason to upturn the tribunal’s decision as the petitioners failed to prove their case and therefore merit the nullification of the Independent National Electoral Commission’s declaration.
The appellate court consequently dismissed the four appeals, which the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), the Democratic People’s Party (DPP) the Action People’s Party (APP), and the Social Democratic Party (SDP) filed against INEC, Bello and the APC.