Top Breaking News In Nigeria This Afternoon, Wednesday, July 8th, 2020

1. Akwa Ibom APC faults Buhari’s ‘unfamiliar method’ of appointment.

Akwa Ibom State Chapter of All Progressive Congress (APC) has faulted President Muhammadu Buhari over what it described as “unfamiliar method” adopted in appointing people from the state to political offices without reference to the party.

Specifically, the party kicked against the foreign envoy nominee, Oboro Effiong Akpabio, who the party claimed was not from the State.

In a statement signed by its Publicity Secretary, Nkereuwem Eyongekere, the party noted that such an appointment was already unsettling members and weakening the threshold of the party in the state ahead of 2023 as staunched members who sunk in resources have been sidelined in the scheme of things.

Eyongekere maintained that Buhari has remained adamant despite several correspondences drawing his attention to the lopsided appointments from the state.

He said, “In a petition from APC Akwa Ibom State Chapter duly signed by the State Chairman, Hon Iniobong Titus Okopido recently sent to the presidency, the Chapter succinctly drew the attention of the presidency to such anomalies that had been on the recurring note right from the first term of Mr. President till date.

“The State Chapter in the said letter lamented that even in the second term of the administration President Muhammadu Buhari which the party in the State had expected to benefit from the robust relationship of 2019 elections and for obvious reasons that he will learn from the mistakes of his first term.

“But unfortunately, the news of every new appointment from Akwa Ibom state has been so nerve-wracking and disquieting to the members of APC in the State, thus weakening the threshold of our party in the state as genuine members who have sacrificed their useful resources are completely cheated out.

“The letter underscored among such political appointments, is that of Mr. Oboro Effiong Akpabio, Ambassador-designate, as one of the persons the party is not very sure if he is from the state as he is unknown to the party and its members.

“The letter noted if such a trend is not discontinued, will surely discourage members from giving their best to make APC work in Akwa Ibom State and thereby hampering the build-up towards 2023.

2. BREAKING: House of Reps reacts to report of 50 lawmakers contracting COVID-19.

The House of Representatives has issued a statement discrediting a report that over 50 lawmakers in have tested positive to COVID-19.

In a statement made available to POLITICS NIGERIA on Wednesday, Reps Spokesman, Hon. Benjamin Kalu urged the general public to discredit the report.

“The attention of the House of Representatives has been drawn to a news publication by Sahara Reporters on July 7, 2020, sensationally titled “Panic at National Assembly As Over 50 Lawmakers Allegedly Test Positive For COVID-19”. The House of Representatives is therefore constrained to release this refutation of the gross misinformation.

“Fake news is like a virus eating away at the fabric of national development the world over because it seeks to misdirect the people either through information underload or overload. It sinisterly shifts the perception and focus of the citizenry, as a result of which there is a behavioural change in the people who have been ill-informed leading them to act in belief of what they have heard, read or seen, as if it were the truth, The scourge of Covid-19 has impacted all countries of the world, including every state, community and individual without exception.”

“However, it is but a sickness and not a criminal sentence on infected people. Therefore, it should not be an offence to be sick or a crime to be infected, and people who have passed through infection or recovery should not be stigmatized for nobody knows whose turn it will be tomorrow. The National Assembly and our leadership have been at the fore of the battle to reduce the impact of this pandemic on the people of Nigeria. At the battlefront, occasional casualties are inevitable, especially when the warriors are not superhuman.”

“Members of the National Assembly could fall prey to Covid-19, just like any other person. It is, therefore. unconscionable to attempt to weaponize this against the institution especially when the source of such strange information is a phantom.”

3. COVID-19: More money needed to conduct WASSCE – WAEC.

The Head of the Nigeria National Office (HNO) of the West African Examination Council (WAEC), Mr. Patrick E. Areghan, on Tuesday, said that more money than what was originally budgeted for is required for the conduct of the year 2020 West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) for school candidates vis a vis the ravaging COVID-19 pandemic.

Areghan, who spoke while briefing newsmen in Lagos on the conduct of WASSCE for school candidates, made known that a total of 1,549,463 candidates including 786,421 males and 763,042 females from 19,129 schools have registered for the examination scheduled to hold between August 3rd and September 5th, 2020.

He also said that because the council would adhere strictly to social/physical distancing in the examination halls, more classrooms will be used and more supervisors and invigilators will be required to conduct the examination.

According to Areghan, about 23,250 supervisors will be needed for the conduct of the examination as against the over 10,667 being used before now.

This, he said, has raised the supervision fee to be paid as well as the provision of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to staff, supervisors and other examination officials.

Arehhan said: “We used to have one supervisor to 299 candidates.

“But now, we are going to have one supervisor to 150 candidates in order to maintain social distancing.

“Other costs include fumigation of offices, cost of movement of materials and printing of codes among others.

“No doubt, all these measures have financial implications, which were not contemplated at the time of drawing up the budget for the conduct of the examination.

“The big question looming now is how can this extra fund be raised?”

He, therefore, appealed to the governments at various levels to come to the council’s aid and called on multi-national companies, corporate organisations and philanthropic individuals to donate PPE to the council, noting that it was essential for all examination functionaries to be well kitted to avoid the spread of the deadly coronavirus.

4. Ibrahim Magu: Don’t do to him what he did to others – Ozekhome begs Buhari, Nigerians – Daily Post Nigeria.

Human rights lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome, SAN, has pleaded with Nigerians and those in authority, not to accord Ibrahim Magu, the suspended Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, the same shameless media trial as he (Magu) did with most public officers accused of corruption.

The Senior Advocate of Nigeria also said that the former EFCC boss be presumed innocent until he has been subjected to the due process of law, through a free and fair public trial.

“The fact that he did it to others did not and does not mean it was right. Two wrongs can never make a right.

“As I argued again and again, like a broken record, the anti-corruption ‘war ‘ was never a regenerative and ethics-defining Risorgimento war.

“It was purely a score -settler against rights activists, the opposition, public critics, plural voices and dissenters.”

DAILY POST reported on Tuesday that Magu was suspended as Acting Chairman of the EFCC by President Muhammadu Buhari after he spent the night in a police cell at the Force Criminal Investigation Department (FCID) Headquarters in Abuja.

This followed a six-hour grilling by a presidential panel, chaired by Justice Ayo Salami, a former president of the Court of Appeal.

It was reported on Monday that Magu was arrested by the Department of State Services (DSS).

He was said to have been arrested over allegations that he owns four properties and also allegedly transferred funds abroad through a third party.

In 2016, DSS accused him of living in a N40m mansion paid for by one Umar Mohammed, a retired military officer.

5. Yobe govt threatens to sack officials who refuse to wear face masks.

The Chairman of Yobe State COVID-19 committee, who is also the Deputy Governor, Alhaji Idi Barde Gubana has warned the Director of Personal Management of the local government that anyone who is not wearing a face mask should be removed from office.

Gubana gave the warning during the inauguration of the Chairmen of local government Environmental and Sanitation Committee at the Wawa Hall, Government House, Damaturu.

He said, some local government Dpms are not complying with the Federal Government directives on the war against COVID-19, adding that this nonchalant attitude should not be tolerated by his committee.

“It has been observed that, the Directors of Personal Managements of the local government areas are not enlightening their people on the rules and regulations of the federal government on the fight against coronavirus in their respective local government areas.,’ he said.

He said, the local government Dpms are not wearing face masks, ”so how do you expect the people to wear the face mask, since the Dpm’s are not wearing it?”

Alhaji Idi Barde Gubana, therefore, warned the DPMs that, anyone found violating the federal government’s directives on war against the COVID-19 should be removed from the office immediately.

6. Nigerian govt reacts to video of two Nigerian girls trafficked in Lebanon.

Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Chairman of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) has reacted to a viral video of two women maltreated in Lebanon by their employer.

In the video, the ladies cried for help lamenting that their employers were planning to sell them off.

“Please we need your help, we are in Lebanon. We are suffering here, there is no food to eat.

“We don’t want to work again but return. Our boss said if we are not working, he would sell us. Please help us,” they said.

The video got the attention of the NIDCOM boss who directed the case to the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Person, NAPTIP, and urged those in contact to provide names and location of the girls in the video for easy tracing.

On her Twitter page, Dabiri wrote: “Sad. We have forwarded to NAPTIP, the agency in charge of trafficking to trace them.

“I am hopeful they will be able to locate them. We will await updates from them.

“But faces covered, no names may make it a bit more difficult for NAPTIP. Maybe the sender can provide their names and location even if privately to NAPTIP. It will help in locating them.”

We Update Our Social Media Platform With Latest Updates, Don’t Miss Out Join US On Facebook

About Mr Legit Source 492 Articles
Mr Legit Source is a Computer Programmer. He loves computer programming and he is also a web designer and a developer. Mr Legit Source is a Senior Content Writer of Legitsource.com.ng 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*