DO YOU STRUGGLE WITH A NO ONION NO GARLIC ALTERNATIVE? THEN BELOW IS A GUIDE TO NO- ONION- NO- GARLIC- COOKING THAT INCLUDES ALL THE DETAILS RELATED TO COOKING MEALS WITHOUT ONION AND GARLIC.
Many people avoid eating onion and garlic in their regular meals. Including my Mom-in-law, she prefers her food without garlic, it’s not because she doesn’t like to eat onion-garlic, it’s because the strong flavors of these ingredients hinder her medical treatment and daily yoga. A guide to No- onion- no- garlic- cooking
In religious terms, food is categorized in three forms – Tamasic, Rajasic, Sattvic.
TAMASIC FOODS A GUIDE TO NO- ONION- NO- GARLIC- COOKING
They are the one which increases inner confusion and has a sedative effect on mind and body. Examples of these foods are – fish, onions, garlic, mushrooms, alcohol, opium, the meat of any animal and any food that has been kept overnight before consumption.
RAJASIC FOODS A GUIDE TO NO- ONION- NO- GARLIC- COOKING
These foods have a stimulating effect on mind and body. Examples of these foods are – caffeinated drinks (such as coffee, tea, cola drinks, and energy drinks), over salty foods, overly spicy food, salty food, and chocolate.
SATTVIC FOODS A GUIDE TO NO- ONION- NO- GARLIC- COOKING
These foods are pure, clean, organic and contain energy that is essential for physical health. Examples of these foods are – water, cereal grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits, nuts, all milk-based products and raw honey.
NO ONION NO GARLIC FOOD IS NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH VRAT OR FASTING FOOD.
No onion no garlic are the foods in which vegetables and lentils are cooked without onion and garlic and with regular salt. Some people find it difficult to cook food without onion and garlic but trust me this is the easiest meal to cook and tastes equally good.
But fasting or vrat cooking is completely different. During fasting periods like Navratri, Ekadashi, Mahashivratri, Pooranmashi vrat – people eat one time meals cooked without onion and garlic.
Below listed are some of the ingredients that can be used as a base for preparing gravies for no onion no garlic foods.
1. TOMATO PUREE – Freshly prepared tomato puree or Fresh tomatoes are an excellent base to no onion garlic food. Tomato puree is combined with regular spices to create scrumptious meals. Recipe – Sabut Moong Dal .
2. CASHEW PASTE – If you have cashew paste in your refrigerator than it has endless possibilities in Indian cooking. Just combine it with tomato puree for a thick creamy gravy. Recipes are – Dum aloo, Baghare Baingan
3. BEATEN CURD – Homemade curd when combined with tomato paste is an excellent base for any gravy. Not only it gives that gravy a smooth texture it also adds rich flavor to a particular dish. Recipes are Dum aloo and Mutter paneer.
4. BOILED BOTTLE GOURD (LAUKI) PASTE – Surprised!! Yes, boiled lauki paste is the one which I use the most along with all the ones mentioned above in my gravies. Not only it adds the nutritional content, it also neutralizes the tanginess in the gravy released by tomato puree and curd. Even the finicky eaters will eat their food without complaint. Recipes are – Mutter paneer and Lobia curry.
5. COCONUT PASTE – Coconut paste is thick, dense, and loaded with protein and beneficial fats. It’s incredibly flavorful and tasty! Recipe – Baghare Baingan
6. BOILED CABBAGE PASTE – Yes, this is another green paste that can be used as a substitute for onion and garlic. Same like lauki paste, boiled cabbage paste adds nutritional value to a meal. Recipe – Malai Kofta
All my paste are ready and stored in an airtight container.
Good for 1 week in refrigerator and 2-3 weeks in the freezer.
Use as directed in the recipe.
Do give this warm and comforting soup a try and if you happen to make it, then please comment below and leave your feedback.
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [firstname.lastname@example.org] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.